Basic Steps for Juicing Wheatgrass (1oz)
Things You’ll Need:
- Wheatgrass blades – more or less 40g = 1 oz. of pure juice
- Manual or electric grass juicer
- Short glasses or measuring cups
- Bowl for grass pulp
- Organic non-toxic veggie wash (optional)
What to do:
- Wash the wheatgrass blades thoroughly. You may also use an organic non-toxic veggie wash to clean the wheatgrass blades.
- In using either kind of juicers, you will need a bowl to catch the expelled pulp and shot glasses or measuring cups to hold the juice. Feed the grass into the hopper and either crank or let electricity do the work. Soon a dark green liquid will come out with the pulp coming out separately. The pulp can be run through the juicer again. A light green foam comes out as well making a head on the juice.
- For best results, the juice should be used within 30 minutes of harvest and juicing. It will keep for about 12 hours in the refrigerator. Discard left-overs after 12 hours.
- Juice may also be frozen as ice cubes, freezing preserves the enzymes.
- Do not rinse the grass if it will be stored in the refrigerator as water will hasten its decomposition.
- Cut grass can be stored for up to seven days, in glass or plastic container with lids, in the refrigerator. Do not use yellow-tinged grass.
- For best results, grass should be juiced and used immediately
- The Wheatgrass Book by Anne Wigmore (Avery Books)
- Wheatgrass: Superfood for a New Millennium by Li Smith (v«tai Health Publishing)
- Wheatgrass: Nature’s Finest Medicine by Steve Meyerowitz (Sproutman)
How do I take it?
It is best to take wheatgrass juice in small amounts throughout the day on an empty stomach, wait thirty (30) to forty-five (45) minutes before taking other foods or drinks.
As part of your regular health routine for maintenance, take 1 or 2 ounces of juice a day or every other day. When you get used to the taste, smell, and effects of wheatgrass juice, you may take 2-4 ounces a day.
For therapeutic dosage, take 4-10 ounces a day spread out in 3-4 intakes within the day. E.g. In taking 6 ounces a day, take 2 ounces in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 2 in the evening.
Wheatgrass juice may also be taken rectally-selected health spas in the Philippines offer this service-as it is typical to be able to take four (4) ounces orally, nausea is common when one takes in more than that amount. Thus, in therapies involving wheatgrass, it is best to take the juice rectally to complete the daily five (5) to ten (10) or more therapeutic quantity. Wheatgrass has strong cleansing action on the digestive tract and can induce laxative effects.
In oral intake of wheatgrass juice, it is recommended to take a day off from drinking it to enable your body to readjust to its effects, making the body more responsive when juice intake is continued once again. Others take a week off once a month.
Wheatgrass Juice can be mixed with other fruit and vegetable juices. Do not mix with citrus. Citrus kills enzymes and enzymes are one of the most important parts of wheatgrass juice.
Where to get seedlings:
Wheatgrass, Seeds, and Juice are available at:
Quezon Memorial Circle, Elliptical Rd, Diliman, Quezon City
photos from ww.freedigitalphotos.net