Ingredients for Wrapper:
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups of cornstarch
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
Ingredients for Filling:
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 3 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ¼ kilogram of lean ground pork (boiled in 2 ½ cups of water, to make meat stock)
- ¼ kilogram of fresh shrimp, shelled and finely chopped (boil shrimp shells and head in 1 ½ cups of water, to make shrimp stock)
- 1 cup of shrimp stock
- 1 kilogram of ubod, cut into thin and 1-inch long strips
- 1 teaspoon of iodized salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper, or to taste
- 10 stalks of fresh onion leaves, or as needed
Ingredients for Sauce:
- ½ teaspoon of sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, or to taste
- 2 cups of meat stock 1 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, or as needed (dissolved in small amount of water)
- 5 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
Procedure for Wrapper:
- In a bowl, combine together all the ingredients. Mix well until batter is smooth and creamy.
- Put a Teflon pan over low heat. Pour 1/4 cup of egg mixture, must cover all surface of the pan.
- Wrapper is cooked when the edges are lifting from the pan. Remove the thin sheet by using a pair of flat thongs. Spread each cooked sheet on lightly-oiled plates.
Procedure for Filling:
- Heat oil on a deep pan or wok over medium-low heat. Sauté garlic until light brown, and onion, until softened. Add shrimp. Stir to blend well. Add drained ground pork. Continue sauteing for 5 minutes; or until pork starts to brown.
- Pour shrimp stock. Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ubod strips. Return cover and simmer over medium-low heat. Stir at regular intervals to make sure that ubod strips are cooked evenly.
- When ubod strips are soft enough to bite and chew, remove heat. Transfer the ubod filling to a strainer. Drain well because excess liquid will ruin the lumpia wrapper.
Procedure for Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, mix together sugar, soy sauce, meat stock (strained in fine sieve), and salt.
- Boil over low heat. Add dissolved cornstarch. Stir in garlic. Simmer until thick.
To Roll Lumpiang Ubod:
- Put 2 onion leaves on one side of the wrapper. Arrange 2 tablespoons of filling.
- Carefully fold the three edges of wrapper over the filling, starting on each side.
- Use all your fingers to make sure that the filling is snugly-together, before you start rolling.
- Put rolled lumpia on a serving plate and pour sauce on top.
- Serve hot or warm.
sources: macjam1490.multiply.com, hubpages.com, photo from