Bananas can be process into different kinds of food (you can even used the peelings!) – a good source of income for a home-based person.
Sweetened or salted banana chips are prepared from hard, green Saba or Cavendish.
- Prepare brix or arnibal for sweetened chips by mixing three parts of sugar for every one part of water.
- Clean, peel, and slice the bananas to about .05 to 1.0 mm thick. Soak in cooking oil, turning frequently to prevent sticking.
- Place the banana chips in a strainer, allowing the oil to drip while heating cooking oil in a pan. Dip and fry the chips in the cooking pan without removing them from the strainer.
- Turn until yellowish brown, then lift the strainer and allow the oil to drip.
- Soak the fried chips in arnibal for two to three minutes. Let the syrup drip, the fry again until the chips become shiny.
- Let cool before packing or placing in bottles, cans, or plastic bags
- For salted banana chips, use salt instead of refined sugar and soak in salt solution instead of arnibal.