I. Meat material
1 kg – Pork belly or liempo, boneless, skinless
II. Ingredients (Pumping pickle solution for 1 kg. meat)
- ½ cup – Water, chilled
- 1 ¼ Tablespoon -Salt, refined
- 1 teaspoon – Curing salt
- 1 Tablespoon – Sugar, refined
- 1 Tablespoon – Phosphate
- ¼ teaspoon – Vitamin C powder
- ½ Tablespoon – Hamspice or bacon powder
- 1 Tablespoon – Isolate *
- 1 teaspoon – Carageenan*
*These two ingredients minimize shrinkage and better stability.
III. Dry cure mixture
- 2 ½ T – Salt, refined
- 1 ½ T – Sugar, refined
- ¼ T – Phosphate
- ¼ t – Vitamin C powder
- Select good quality raw materials. Trim and weigh.
- Prepare 50 deg pumping pickle and dry cure mixture.
- Inject pumping pickle into the lean portion only, one inch apart [1/2 cup pickle per kilo of meat].
- Massage for even distribution of pickle.
- Apply dry cure mixture into the fat and lean portion.
- Cure at room temperature for 8-10 hours or refrigeration temperature for 2-7 days.
- Wash for 90 seconds and pack in polyethylene bags and freeze overnight or 8-12 hours.
- Slice frozen meat into 18 inch thick.
- Back in Styrofoam with cling wrap.
V. Yield: 1 kg = 800-900 gms
Meat processing ingredients is available at:
Ultima Entrepinoy Forum Center
Nutrition Foundation of the Philippines Bldg.
#107 E. Rodriguez Sr. Ave., Quezon City
Tel: 411-1349; 742-0826; 742-7866
Email: [email protected]